Askhole

It has been a while, hasn't it? It's pretty a while that the little grape trees that I planted grew up to the size of my thumb, spiraling all over the poles, with the leaves drape down like a curtain in some wild fantasy movies. It has been a while that the grape trees wilted, died, and grew back again, just like the green grasses that sprawling after a bush fire.

It has been that a while.

And a lot of things happened in between that. I have been meaning to write, but as I sat down on my table, fingers dancing on the keys, brain juggled in between incoherent thoughts, I yielded at the very last moment. It struck me that the stories that I was going to tell were just another repercussion of the same shit again and again. 

"You're a good person but you refuse to learn", Sammy told me one day on our way back to the parking lot. It was a cold winter evening, not as blistering cold as in Minneapolis, but it's pretty cold enough for Saudi Arabian standard. 

"You know what girl, I sat on my toilet bowl last night and I contemplated the shits that happened to me. And I was pretty darn sure that I was the source of the problem. Remember Custard? Remember how I fucked his life? And then there was Shay, and oh yes, the mighty Liam; I fucked everybody's life with my inferiority complex!"

"Yeah, and yet yesterday you were being an askhole. You want me to explain what an askhole is?"

"I got it bitch. I know what an askhole is"

"And you messed it up Z. I told you you weren't going to get what you wanted. You're gonna get hurt pretty bad if you don't stop. I mean he won't hurt you physically, but are you ready to get your heart crushed and burn all over again? You deserve to be happy, but you chose not to"

If a stranger met Sammy, he would've easily thought that she's a shrink. Or a love doctor. Or a sex therapist. Or a quack. Whatever fits at that very situation. And as for me, Sammy knows a lot about me. In and out. But all this while she thought that she knew everything, and apparently she wasn't. Everybody has their own little secrets, yours truly included. So when I told Sammy about the uncomfortable encounters in between me and Barjas, I wasn't really sure that I told him the complete see-through story. She didn't have to know the story in its entirety, she should just know the bare surface so she could grasp the funky shithole that I was dealing with.

Sammy's advice was like treasures carefully locked inside a chest. It's not like that she dispensed the advice against her will, but it was something that rarely reachable once you get ahold of it, it was something that you could not let go.

I have yet to tell her what really happened between me and Barjas. It took me to a dark road, and that dark road was not the place that you would happily jaywalk just because there's a road in front of you. 

I am pretty lost right now. Along that dark road. I am hoping Sammy would grab my hand and show me the way out. But I am pretty ruined, and I am not pretty sure that Sammy will be there again whenever I need an arm to hold on to. 


Zubaidah Arshad
The Meat Company
Adliya, Kingdom of Bahrain
19 January 2020





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting Shay

Sleep Deprivation Equals To Apple Pie

Someplace Else